Friday, November 19, 2004

Matt's Salsa

I met Amy a few months ago on a committee at my church. Her husband Matt makes killer homemade salsa. She sent me the list of ingredients, and as I made it, I wrote down the missing measurements for some of the ingredients. Salsa is really a "to-taste" kind of thing, IMHO, but this is a fantastic starting point....

28oz crushed tomatoes
15oz diced tomatoes
2 4oz cans green chiles
1 4oz can diced jalapenos
(or substitute 2-3 fresh jalapenos, seeded & mined)
1 1/2 cups chopped green onions (two bunches)
chopped fresh cilantro to taste (I used 1/4 cup)
1 t. salt, 1/4 t. black pepper
3 T chili powder
garlic powder/salt to taste (I threw in 1 t., then thought, "what am I doing?" and added four cloves of fresh garlic, peeled & minced)
1/2 t. cayenne pepper

Using fresh jalapenos gives you a little more flexibility on the heat...I used 2 and it's a good heat for general consumption. If it was just for me, I would have added another.

Yum. It's good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger