Monday, September 20, 2004

Best. Cake. Ever.

And I MEAN it.

Got back from my 2nd Cub run of the day (4 oats, 16 boxes of instant oatmeal for free!) and made myself a birthday cake. Technically, I'm not done yet...it's in the oven. This is by far the best cake recipe I have ever found. I can't stop eating it. Normally, raw dough or batter kind of skeeves me because of the raw eggs -- I'm not prone to snack on it. But this batter? I could eat it with a spoon. It's unbelievable.

No link for this recipe...here goes...mix a yellow cake mix (no pudding) with a 3 oz. package of vanilla pudding mix. Add 4 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, 1 cup sour cream, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix well. Coarsely grate 6 ounces of milk chocolate -- I process yummy yummy yummy Guittard milk chocolate chips in the baby Cuisinart...works like a charm. Fold chocolate into batter and try not to eat the entire bowl with a spoon. Pour into a prepared bundt-type pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes.

Now, the recipe just calls for a dusting of powdered sugar on top. And it's fine like that...really, I could eat the entire cake with no assistance. But what sends it over the edge is this yummy glaze: place 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup butter, and 1/3 cup whole milk in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. After it comes to a boil, cook for 1 more minute, then remove from heat and add 6 ounces of chocolate chips and stir until they are melted and the glaze is smooth. Pour over cake. It will seem thin but it will firm up and become the Perfect Glaze. I promise.

Actually, the glaze recipe makes a LOT. If I remember, and if I'm up for the math, I half the recipe and it's sufficient for a bundt cake.

Yum. Cake. Happy Birthday to me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Happy Birthday sis! Welcome to the new demographic! Presents will follow - but you know me - can't get it there on time or I would be . . . me.

I love you tons.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger